Safety & Injury Prevention Education
Family Education Programs
As the need arises, Trauma Nurses Talk Tough develops new programs with collaborative partners. These courses and the information presented are part of our Family Education Programs, which help parents and their children learn healthy behaviors.
Graduated Driver Licensing Workshops
The Graduated Driver License (GDL) Workshop is designed to empower parents and adolescents with skills, goals, and tools that are proven to make young drivers safer drivers. The focus is on introducing the Oregon GDL as a framework for success, slowly increasing the driving privileges of young drivers in specific areas that are known to be the most risky for our teens. We review parenting strategies, building a family contract, and emphasize the importance of experience when driving
Learning to drive safely and responsibly
The Graduated Driver License (GDL) Workshop is designed with parents and teens in mind; specifically, teens who haven’t obtained their license yet. Our target is the seventy percent of youth who do not receive formal, professional driver education.
This three-hour workshop is held at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center monthly. The workshop covers:
- Common problems new drivers face.
- Why do they do that? A new understanding of the teenage brain and behaviors.
- Parenting methods that increase safety in your young driver.
- The Graduated Driver License Laws in Oregon, and how to use the law to succeed.
- Developing a family contract.
Pre-registration required. Call 503-413-4960 or email TNTT.
Why you and your teen should come to a GDL Workshop
Our workshop is designed to include the best evidence on reducing death and injury in teen drivers. The curriculum includes strategies developed by the top experts in the nation on teen driving and incorporates the Graduated Driver Licensing laws, a proven method of decreasing fatal and injury crashes in teens while increasing experience. The skills learned in our class can lead to:
- A 40% drop in fatal crashes among 16 year old drivers;
- Teens that are half as likely to crash;
- Teens that are twice as likely to wear seatbelts;
- Teens who are 71% less likely to drive while impaired;
- Teens who are 30% less likely to use a cell phone while driving.
We believe this journey deserves a valuable road map. Join us with your teen today!
Have more questions? Call us at 503-413-4960 or email TNTT.