GRANTS MANAGEMENT - Data & Resource Sharing Plan
Supporting our researchers' projects from concept to close-out.
The "Data and Resource Sharing Plan" is required in certain circumstances, optional in others.
There are no page or word limits for this section, however it is recommended that it be a brief 1-paragraph overview.
When is a Data and Resource Sharing Plan required?
- When you are seeking $500,000 or more in direct costs in any budget period
- Specific FOAs may require that all applications include this information regardless of the dollar level - please read the FOA carefully to see if this will apply to your application
- NIH Application Guide - Data and Resource Sharing Plan
- FAQ - Data Sharing FAQ
- NIH's page on Data Sharing Policy
- NIH's page on Public Access and Open Science
- NIH's Data Sharing workbook (with examples)
- Include a brief 1-paragraph description of how final research data will be shared, or explain why data-sharing is not possible (for example human subject concerns, the Small Business Innovation Development Act provisions, etc.).
Upcoming Future Changes:
Effective January 23, 2023, a Data Sharing Plan will be REQUIRED for all applications. More info about this change can be found here: Final NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing
Examples and Templates:
Many examples can be found online: Search now for sample Data and Resource Sharing Plans