Minimally invasive surgery
Surgery through tiny holes
The benefit to the patient is that the surgery may result in:
- Less blood loss and pain
- Reduced chance of infection
- Less prominent scarring
- Shorter hospital stay and recovery time
Minimally invasive surgery is widely used at Legacy. Among the specialties that use minimally invasive techniques for some cases:
- General surgery — gastroesophogeal, liver, pancreas, colorectal, hernia
- Bariatric (weight-loss) surgery
Many minimally invasive cases use robotics technology. Guided by the surgeon, robotics procedures often allow for greater precision. The robotics tools allow your surgeon to make precise, accurate moves with more agility than the human hand. Legacy Health has been at the forefront of robotics surgical technology for years.
Robotics procedures are available at Legacy Emanuel, Legacy Good Samaritan, Legacy Meridian Park, Legacy Mount Hood, Legacy Salmon Creek, and Legacy Silverton Medical Centers. Every patient is different — talk to your doctor about whether robotics-assisted surgery is the best choice for you.
Learn more about robotics options for these surgeries:
- Internationally recognized program for laparoscopic gastroesophageal surgery
- Internationally recognized program for laparoscopic hepatobilary surgery
- Regional center for laparoscopic pediatric surgery
- The premier fellowship for advanced laparoscopic surgery
- A leading program in robotic surgery
Our MIS Program encompasses all our surgical specialties and is available at all Legacy Health hospitals, including Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel.