For Health Professionals > Education > Graduate Education > Residency Programs > Legacy Emanuel Internal Medicine Residency Program > How to apply
HOW TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM
Applications to our program are accepted via ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). Paper applications will not be accepted. Contact your Dean’s Office or the ERAS website for information about registering on ERAS. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and do not take residents outside the Match.
Our program has phased out recruitment for the Preliminary Year Medicine program and is only accepting Categorical applications.
Categorical Program NRMP Code Number: 1594140C0
Information to submit
In order to be considered for a position in our program, the following information should be submitted via ERAS:
- Completed ERAS application
- Personal statement
- Current photograph
- Medical school transcripts
- MSPE (Dean’s letter)
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE/COMLEX scores
*For the 2021-22 recruitment season, our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC's ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
- The application deadline for our program is the 3rd Friday in December.
- We are committed to holistic review of applications. A strong candidate to our program will have passed USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 and 2 on the first attempt. It is recommended that applicants have passed step 2 prior to interviewing, but will be required for ranking
- We will accept both USMLE and COMLEX scores. If you take both exams, please include both results.
*Effective September 30, 2021, all candidates who accept a position with Legacy Health System must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including residents.
- You must have graduated from medical school with current clinical experience within the last one year.
- You must be ECFMG certified at the time of application unless you are a current student.
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are responsible for obtaining governmental authorization to work and are expected to pay all expenses associated with obtaining such authorization, except those expenses for which the institution is legally required to pay.
- We do not sponsor visas but will accept an ECFMG sponsored J1.
- We do not offer observerships or externships.
Interviews at Legacy
- Interviews for the 2022-23 recruitment season will be conducted virtually, from October through January.
- Invitations to interview are sent after a complete application is received and reviewed.
- All applicants invited to interview will be given the opportunity to do so.
- The interview consists of a group orientation, individual interviews, and opportunities to speak with current faculty and residents.
- We will submit our match list at the end of January, after which we will offer the opportunity for optional in-person visits to explore our campus.
- During this visit, you will only interact with our residents and not our faculty or program director to ensure no bias is introduced to our process
- We will offer specific dates and if those fill we will work to arrange a visit in some capacity if a student would like
- This is completely optional and will have no impact on the student’s ranking in our program, as our match list will already be certified
Other education and career planning resources
- Search for residency and fellowship programs with FREIDA Online, the AMA Residency & Fellowship Database. FREIDA Online contains profiles of over 10,000 residency and fellowship programs, each accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Medical Association (AMA)