Legacy ECMO History & In the News
Services > Adult Services A-Z > ECMO > Legacy ECMO History & In the News
Legacy ECMO Program History
- ECMO was started at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in 1986 by Dr. Jon Hill and Dr. Bill Long.
- We were one of the first 10 adult ECMO centers registered with the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (Center 27).
- We formally organized a Respiratory Failure ECMO Program in 2009 as a response to the H1N1 pandemic.
- Formerly combined with the pediatric program, the pediatric ECMO team detached in 2016.
ECMO In the News
- Legacy 'ECMO Team' sees success in treating COVID-19 patients
KPTV Fox News 12
- Unvaccinated Salem man hospitalized with coronavirus
- When a call goes out to help the most critically ill patients, a small team from Legacy Emanuel Medical Center goes into action
- After 78 days in the hospital, COVID-19 survivor remembers it all started with a ‘little cough’
- The Milwaukie Santa fights for his life against COVID
- Legacy Emanuel has success with lung support machine for sickest Covid-19 patients
Portland Business Journal
- Runny Nose. Sore Throat. Empty Wallet.