VISITOR RESTRICTIONS & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
Effective 12/29/2021 - Legacy Health is committed to the safety of our patients and staff. Based on COVID-19 case counts in counties served, we are changing our visitor policy to restrict visitors in all hospitals and clinics. By restricting the number of people in our facilities, we reduce the potential for COVID-19 to spread to staff and patients.
Visitor restrictions apply to all visitors, including those who are fully vaccinated.
We recommend that all visitors and support persons entering a Legacy Health facility either be fully vaccinated or have a negative COVID-19 test result, taken within the last 72 hours.
- No visitors. This includes inpatients and outpatients. See guidelines for patients with disabilities below.
- Family members of patients should provide a contact with whom the care team can communicate.
- The care team will do its best to arrange virtual visits.
Visitor exceptions for adult patients
- Emergency department - One (1) visitor, age 18 or older is allowed. If the patient is admitted into the hospital, the visitor will not be allowed into the patient room.
- Outpatient surgery setting - One (1) visitor, age 18 or older can help a patient in an outpatient surgery setting with discharge, follow-up care instructions and pick-up.
- All visitors must pass a COVID-19 health screening.
Visitors and support persons must:
- Be age 18 or older
- Pass a health screening
- Always wear a mask
- Stay 6 feet from others
- Wash hands
- Stay in the patient’s room
Visitors who do not follow these guidelines will be required to leave.
Labor & Delivery patients
- One (1) visitor. This visitor must be the same person for the entire stay.
- Doulas are part of the patient care team but must apply for a verified doula badge.
- Two (2) same parents/caregivers, age 18 or older, who pass a COVID-19 health screening, are allowed for the hospital stay, in the emergency department, outpatient clinics, or an outpatient procedure or surgery.
Visitor exceptions for pediatric patients
- Parents who are under the age of 18 may visit
- Parents or direct caregivers who do not pass the exposure part of the COVID-19 health screening will be allowed to visit unless:
- Visitor is sick
- Visitor is being evaluated for COVID-19
- Visitor is positive for COVID-19
If one parent or direct caregiver meets the screening criteria but the other does not, only the parent/direct caregiver who meets the screening criteria can visit. If the screening criteria cannot be met by either, one parent or direct caregiver will be allowed to visit.
- Adult patients with disabilities who have designated support persons are limited to one (1) support person at a time, regardless of COVID-19 status.
- Pediatric patients can have one (1) support person plus their allowed visitors.
- Support persons may change out during the patient’s hospital stay and must follow Legacy Health’s safety standards. Learn more
- Up to 8 designated visitors may visit a patient at end of life who is not COVID-19 positive or is not being evaluated for COVID-19.
- Up to 2 designated visitors may visit a patient at end of life who has tested positive for COVID-19 or is being evaluated for COVID-19.
- Visitors are limited to 2 visitors at one time in the room and on the hospital premises.
- Minors can be a designated visitor of an end of life patient.
COVID-19 positive patients and patients being evaluated for COVID-19
Patients who are positive for COVID-19 or being evaluated for COVID-19 will not be allowed visitors unless:
- Patient is in labor or with a new baby,
- Patient is with end-of-life care,
- Patient is under 18 years old.
One (1) designated visitor will be allowed for the exceptions noted above. This visitor must be the same person for the entire hospital stay and pass a health screening.
We are screening each person entering a Legacy facility for COVID-19 symptoms, such as:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
As well as screening about international travel:
- Have you travelled internationally in the last 14 days?
- Have you travelled on a cruise ship in the last 30 days?
- All patients and visitors must wear a mask at all times. This includes public spaces. Consideration will be given to young children under age 2.
- Visitors who refuse to wear a mask will be asked to leave the building.
- For your comfort and safety, visitors and symptom-free patients should bring and wear their own masks.
- Vented masks, scarves, bandannas, gaiters or veil masks may not be worn in Legacy Health facilities. Anyone wearing one of these masks will be given a new mask to wear at the screening station.
- Patients and visitors without a mask will be provided one. If you have a latex allergy, please note that some of the masks we provide contain latex in the ear loops. We cannot guarantee that our masks are latex-free because of supply shortages caused by COVID-19.
- Patients and visitors should follow these mask safety tips
Hospital entrance restrictions
- Due to visitor restrictions, entrances to our hospitals are limited
- Please check the specific hospital page to download a campus map that shows which entrances are available
Requirements for approved visitors:
- Be healthy! You may not visit if you have symptoms of respiratory infection. If you start to experience symptoms, please leave the hospital.
- Stay in your patient’s room. Once you leave your patient’s room, you must leave the medical center. Visitors should not loiter on the unit or on campus. Stay 6 feet apart from others.
- Wear the required personal protective equipment (PPE) as instructed.
- Be 18 and older. Younger visitors will not be allowed except under extraordinary circumstances.
- Visitors who do not follow these rules will be required to leave.
How can I stay connected with family members or friends who are in the hospital?
We encourage family members and friends to use alternative ways to interact with patients during this time. Here are some ideas:
- Use FaceTime, Skype or other video chats to connect
- Talk on the phone, if even just for a few minutes can make everyone feel connected
- Use chat to share memes and the latest news
- Schedule Google Hangouts for the whole family