Services > Adult Services A-Z > Endocrinology Services
Adult Endocrinology Services
Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of kidney failure, lower limb amputations and adult blindness. Legacy Medical Group–Endocrinology provides comprehensive diabetes care, with our patients central to everything we do. We treat many adult endocrine disorders including thyroid diseases osteoporosis, low testosterone, adrenal diseases and pituitary diseases, among others.
Our doctors and providers are dedicated to providing compassionate and comprehensive care.
What is an endocrinologist?
Endocrinologists treat the glands and disorders of the endocrine system. Endocrinologists diagnose and treat many different conditions and areas, including:
- Adrenals: The glands on top of the kidneys. They help control blood pressure, metabolism, stress response and sex hormones.
- Bone metabolism: This includes diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Cholesterol metabolism.
- Hypothalamus: The part of the brain that controls hunger and thirst.
- Pancreas: This makes insulin and other substances for digestion and management of blood sugars.
- Parathyroids: Small glands in the neck that control the amount of calcium in blood.
- Pituitary: A pea-sized gland at the base of the brain that keeps hormones balanced.
- Reproductive glands (gonads): In women, these are the ovaries responsible for estrogen and progesterone; in men, these are the testicles that make testosterone.
- Thyroid: A butterfly-shaped gland in the neck that controls metabolism, energy, brain growth and development.
- Common thyroid-related diseases include low thyroid hormone levels or Hashimoto’s disease; high thyroid hormone levels, such as Graves’ disease; and thyroid nodules. Sometimes, thyroid cancer is a possibility. In these situations, endocrinologists work with neck surgeons to manage the thyroid cancer.
Transgender health services
Click here for complete services for transition related, primary and specialty care in an affirming and welcoming environment.