Things to Consider
- Do they take my insurance?
- Where are they located?
- Do they have experience working with youth dealing with similar challenges?
Contact your insurance network and ask them about therapists, counselors or agencies that are in network. This information may also be available on the insurance company website.
If you have a high deductible insurance and have to pay a lot of money out of pocket before reaching your deductible, it might be reasonable to seek out therapists who offer sliding scale fees. Additionally, your insurance may allow you to see mental health providers out of network.
Questions to ask/things to think about
- Are you taking new patients?
- It is important to ask each therapist about their experience working with the challenges your child is facing. These questions could look: What is your experience working with gender diverse youth? Anxiety? Depression? Disordered eating?
- If you leave a voicemail and have not heard back in 24 to 48 hours, CALL AGAIN. If they are currently not taking new patients but offering a waitlist, take that option while looking for other providers.
The team at Legacy is here to help
Finding the right person can be a frustrating process. We are here to help. You can call the Randall Children's Gender Care Clinic behavioral health clinician, Clancy Roberts, LCSW, and she will partner with you to try to find the right person. Clancy can be reached at 503-413-5443 or email@example.com.
The Legacy Gender and Sexual Health Program can also help you find mental health providers, primary care physicians and other medical specialists who work with gender diverse youth and adolescents. Call 503-413-5600 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Psychology Today therapist search
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health provider search
- Brave Space
Other local resources:
Get Connected & Stay Informed
MyHealth gives you access to your child's medical records. View test results, diagnoses, medications, follow-up instructions, make an appointment and more.